“Spring” Into Action!

Lilies

After the hard winter we’ve had this year, we are all more than happy to receive the comforts and warmth of Spring!  Aside from the joys of seeing all that snow melt away, we welcome the birth of the new season foliage with all its beautiful colors and smells.  Unfortunately, dangers also accompany this transition in seasons.  Certain plants and flowers, although pleasing to our senses, can be extremely dangerous to your pets and horses.  A floral favorite, Lilies are a primary culprit for our feline friends.  This beautiful flower has very serious toxic affects on the kidneys of a cat for unknown reasons.  Ingesting any part of this plant, or pollen, can cause serious injury.  So before going out and buying your Spring bouquet, read this article http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/animal-poison-control/17-poisonous-plants by the ASPCA Poison Control Center on Plants That Are Poisonous to Pets.  Now, this doesn’t mean you can never buy these plants/flowers ever again.  It just means you have to be more careful with them around your pets.  Understanding the dangers and being informed will only serve to help you make better decisions regarding your pet’s safety.  The ASPCA is a great resource for literature and for emergency situations.  They can be contacted at: Animal Poison Control Center: (888) 426-4435   Naturally, we recommend that you also reach out to us if you have cause for concern that your pet or horse may have ingested a toxic plant or flower.  We can be reached 24-HOURS A DAY at (844) VET-2-PET